Ironically, not much separates the Amanda Marcottes and Jeb Lunds of the political ecosphere, in the ostensible divide between them and those like the Donald J. Trumps, Edward Gallaghers – and Hallmark Channel viewers – whom they would seek to demonize. I am no Trump, Gallagher, or Hallmark Channel apologist. But I don’t need to be in order to safeguard and champion the freedom of speech – including theirs.
Perhaps the ultimate irony – and lesson of history – is in the historical fact that while those whom they seek to vilify would defend their right to speak, albeit under the umbrella of proper discretion, the same could very likely not be said of them. In other words, championing the right to speak freely would likely not be reciprocated by them to those with whom they disagree. Thus, the greatest irony of all and lesson of history is that they themselves become the worst oppressors, as oppressive, brutal, cruel, fascistic, dictatorial, and authoritarian as any against whom they would speak.
Upon closer observation, it becomes apparent that every strong upsurge of power in the public sphere, be it of a political or a religious nature, infects a large part of humankind with stupidity. … The power of the one needs the stupidity of the other. The process at work here is not that particular human capacities, for instance, the intellect, suddenly atrophy or fail. Instead, it seems that under the overwhelming impact of rising power, humans are deprived of their inner independence and, more or less consciously, give up establishing an autonomous position toward the emerging circumstances. The fact that the stupid person is often stubborn must not blind us to the fact that he is not independent. In conversation with him, one virtually feels that one is dealing not at all with him as a person, but with slogans, catchwords, and the like that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell, blinded, misused, and abused in his very being. Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil. This is where the danger of diabolical misuse lurks, for it is this that can once and for all destroy human beings.Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison, On Stupidity (1967; 1997) [emphasis added]
The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves.Dresden James
- Edward Gallagher: Members of Navy SEAL Team 7 say chief committed war crimes, in interviews with investigators – CBS News
- Hallmark movies are fascist propaganda | Salon.com
- Will Republicans be able to wipe Trump’s crimes from the history books? | Salon.com
- Women still belong in the kitchen, according to the advice-seeking men of Reddit | Salon.com
- Amanda Marcotte | Salon.com
- Troll Nation: How The Right Became Trump-Worshipping Monsters Set On Rat-F*cking Liberals, America, and Truth Itself: Amanda Marcotte: 9781510737457: Amazon.com: Books
- Amanda Marcotte on Twitter: “This is a guy Trump views as a hero: A man so sociopathic and violent that he rattled Navy SEALs, bringing them to tears. https://t.co/TWp6GQnW9H” / Twitter
- hallmark movie christmas hanukkah at DuckDuckGo
- Hallmark’s new Hanukkah holiday movies miss the mark – Insider
- hallmark movie characters teach each other about christmas hanukkah at DuckDuckGo
- Lifetime’s ‘Mistletoe & Menorahs’ Is the Jewish Holiday Movie You’ve Been Waiting For | Glamour
- One Million Moms – Home Page
- BET – Wikipedia
- EWTN Global Catholic Television Network: Catholic News, TV, Radio | EWTN
- RWR2019-12-26 – Road Warrior Radio
- Quotes | Vince Lombardi
- Vince Lombardi – Wikipedia
- A Christmas Carol: A Call For Socialism Or Compassion?
- New Intercept Exposé Uncovers SEAL Team 6’s Ghastly Trail of Atrocities, Mutilations, Killings | Democracy Now!
- Part 2: Intercept Exposé on How SEAL Team 6 Killed Osama bin Laden, “Canoeing” & Other Atrocities | Democracy Now!
- How a Totalitarian State is Actually Formed | Jocko Podcast & Jordan B Peterson – YouTube
- Triumph of the Will – Wikipedia
- George Santayana – Wikiquote
- prussian mercenaries at DuckDuckGo
- Prussian Army – Wikipedia
- Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland: Christopher R. Browning: 9780060995065: Amazon.com: Books
- Hitler’s Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust: Daniel Jonah Goldhagen: 9780679772682: Amazon.com: Books
- Worse Than War: Genocide, Eliminationism, and the Ongoing Assault on Humanity: Daniel Jonah Goldhagen: Amazon.com: Books
- Jordan Peterson | A List of Influential Books Everyone Should Read
- Will to power – Wikipedia
- War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America’s Campaign to Create a Master Race by Edwin Black | PopMatters Book Review
- The Time When A Single Computer Ran An Entire Country – YouTube
- Perfectionism is killing us – Road Warrior Radio